Tuesday, November 28, 2006

That hope thing

I’ve decided I’m a hope whore. I’m cynical enough so that I basically never have hope in the first place, with anyone, but every once in awhile circumstance and serendipity toss it on my lap and I can’t help but feel it.

Then I get a little psycho. I become a little needy, obsessively attentive, and basically worship the ground she walks on. I overlook little clues that I’m coming on too strong, that she really isn’t as wonderful as I’m imagining she is, and that in another week or two I’m going to be left wondering what the heck happened.

It’s a pretty rare occurrence — that cynicism thing keeps my hope in check and the alfie playbook actually allows things to grow organically to a point — but it still happens once in awhile.

And I still feel like a big fat idiot.

No comments: