From Word of the Day, http://wordsmith.org --
This week's theme: desserts used metaphorically.
chocolate-box (CHO-kuh-lit boks, CHOK-lit -) adjective
Having a romanticized beautiful image; stereotypically pretty.[From the kind of pictures often seen on boxes of chocolate.]-Anu Garg (garg wordsmith.org)
"But to accept that is merely to endorse a patronising, chocolate-box image of the country -- to see it all as pretty lanes, thatched cottages and rosy-cheeked lasses milking cows -- and to turn a blind eye to the reality of rural life today." Anna Morrell; An Everyday Tale of Randy Rural Folk; Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales); Nov 9 2006.
--
HMMMMM. "Chocolate-box" made ME think of a black girl's special place. I just hollered at a cube-mate of mine and asked what he thought it meant, and after a thoughtful grunt, I heard and inquisitive "Butt Love?"
You learn something new every day, huh?
(I did also check urbandictionary.com, and they had nothing to say on the matter.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment