Sunday, February 11, 2007

Things I want to say to a woman someday

This is a fantasy, but it's good. If Churchill was right, that words in and of themselves are powerful; if Napoleon Hill was right, and that focus can effectuate reality, then this is... an expression of hope.

I love you. I love you for the person you are without me. You are strong, independent, ambitious, and proud. You stop to talk to bums on the street occasionally and have given your leftovers away to more than one of them. You simultaneously have the street smarts to know not to approach a group of them alone in your heels or hand out cash.

You can analyze logically, noting nuances in behavior that others miss. You can debate with me and like doing so just because. You debate with everyone a little bit, in fact.

Your hope and faith in the world, in humanity, and in yourself is infectious and without end. When I look at you -- just your being you, without any interactions with me -- I actually believe the world is a better place. I furthermore believe that I am a better man just because I get to associate with you.

You're genuinely nice to everyone. Sometimes I worry about your safety, it's true, despite how much faith I have in you, because you care so much about your fellow man that you might be taken advantage of someday. Your seemingly blind faith comes out in other ways, like forgetting your wallet when we go out, or not checking the pre-packaged salad at the grocery store for freshness.

I am special to you because I empower your hope. Because I am a doer, an achiever, and problem solver, together our kung fu is synergistic. You hope enough for the both of us, overcoming my cynicism, fear, and loneliness. I take that faith and literally move mountains with it. This starts with remembering things you forget, and includes things like organizing your goals into achievable chunks.

Metaphorically, you convince me I can fly. I go out and build a fucking airplane.

Aside from the worldly attributes, I love you for the way you look at me. You know my flaws (grumpy in the morning, impatient with nonsensical delays, fear of abandonment, need for regular reassurance) and embrace them, not as necessary evils, but because they're simply hurdles to jump. You didn't need the manual, but appreciate that I gave it to you (solutions: coffee, a pep talk driving focus away from tasks I cannot control, simply sticking around, and a longing look twice a day). You truly, really, knowingly, maturly appreciate me and I know it every time you touch me.

Every day I look at you, I think you more beautiful. I appreciate you more every time I watch you interacting with your surroundings. I do this because you're just so damn Good.

We look at each other and can't help but admire. You admire me for the things I work at and have been noticed for -- my ambition, brains, athleticism -- but even moreso for the things I'm not even aware of.

You're simultaneously humble about your own brilliant glow. You might think that I love you for your figure, for your wit, for busting my balls on a regular basis, for appreciating me, but I love you more because you, by example, show me, and everyone else, just how much good there really is in the world. You leave the world a better place every single day, and you don't even know it.

In your eyes, everyone does what you do, everyone helps their fellow man, everyone wants to explore and grow and learn and thrive. And loves.

And when I look at the world through your eyes, I believe it too.

We inspire each other. We create together. You are my best friend. You can give me butterflies anytime you want.

I am all of these things to you as well. I can make your heart smile by just winking at you.

We complete one another.

No comments: