Friday, June 25, 2010

Breakup Song Collection

Need you now, Lady Antebellum


Mel. It is (was?) "our" song. Probably will always belong to her.



Everybody, John Legend


First used: Kim. It is (obviously) reminding me of her less these days. I still like the song and its message. Everybody hurts, nobody has it easy, making it takes somebody standing up and making up. Let's give it one more try. Please stay.

For Mel, "It's written all over my face, that I can't function the same when you're not here, calling your name, but no one's there..."

Plus John Legend is friggin' amaazing. This one would be pleasant spoken in another language even without the poetry.



The Scientist, Coldplay

First used: Laura. Reused with every girl since from Crazy Lauren to Kim. Reminds me of none of them anymore. It has lost its efficacy with overuse. Still classic tearjerking fare.



You an I Both, Jason Mraz


First used: Chrissy. She didn't deserve this much, but the song speaks for itself. I love you, I still love you, I'll always... almost. If we never speak, I'll never forget you, but someday I'll fall out of love with you.

Sweet, disarming, genuine, yet honest and real. Good song for "moving forward" instead of spawning tears.



Gravity, Sarah Bareilles


My current favorite.

First used: now, Mel. I first heard this a few months ago, when it should have reminded me of Kim, but it didn't. It just struck me as beautiful. It is simultaneously poetic, moving, heartfelt, and tragic. I felt that it described heartbreak in its tragic glory. Reminds me of "Stay", a little bit, with its sentiment and repetition (Lisa Loeb).

It reminds me of her ability to melt me with a look. It makes me feel my pain, sometimes with tears and loss, sometimes as a "tragic hero" -- vulnerable yet strong. I've actually been hearing it in my dreams.

It almost makes me happy, despite (or because of?) its link with visions of her leaving. There is something comforting in embracing the experience, even if it borders on wallowing.


I just don't think I'll ever get over you, Colin Haye


First Used: Texas Lauren. She got the whole Garden State soundtrack and her fair share of the Killers, though -- this is the only one that still has any strength years later.

Tragic hero again. The girl must've passed away in this one. "I still find pieces of your presence here... don't want you thinking that I don't get asked to dinner, cuz I'm here to say that I sometimes do... if I lived til I was a hundred and two, I just don't think I'd ever get over you."

This one doesn't make me cry anymore.

No comments: